Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election Day (and a piece of my mind!!!!!)



Hattie had her first experience voting today. She quite liked it as she was the center of attention. We may as well have been running for something ourselves as we were sure having a "meet and greet" :)

This week is Hayden's birthday, so we are gearing up for a houseful of boys and numerous loaves of pizza bread to be mixed up on Friday night.

We are still waiting to hear the dates of Hattie's surgery.

Now, for a piece of my mind. Hattie and I were at a doctor appointment recently and the nurse was asking questions. "How long has she been home from China?" 6 weeks. "Do you have other children?" Yes. Now, brace yourself....she actually asked me- "are they YOURS or are they ADOPTED?" I was quiet for a minute and fired up, instantly, and responded very sugary, sweetsy, chipper, "They are OURS and they are adopted. (Hmm, still don't know why she even felt a need to ask this question?) She stammered around and was uncomfortable as she realized what she had said and I felt a bit mean as I did not do a thing to make her feel more comfortable. But, what if one of the kids heard someone make a statement like that? WOW. I know people don't mean any harm, but they truly need to think about the impact of what they say. Furthermore, why does giving birth make someone "own" their kids? I am not working this hard to take care of those random kids I picked up in the Target parking lot.....I am working this hard to take care of my kids and it is beyond irritating to be asked such questions. Again, why does it even matter? To us, where they come from matters not-that they are here is all that matters!
Spread the word and don't feel bad to allow someone to be uncomfortable. I am pretty sure she will be thinking twice before she asks that question again......

No comments:

Post a Comment